Sunday, July 10, 2011


SCHOOLDAYS


I remember him well, with his long horse’s skull of a face
and the sad suffering eyes.
We lived in fear of him, with his ‘quick draw’  belt  -  no strolling  over to the top drawer of his desk for him, no, he carried it with him at all times rolled up in his pocket, a black coil of pain readily leaping to hand.
Sad, really that it’s this bleak picture one has of him, for I’m told that in later years
He became quite a successful poet:
wandering Elysium fields filling buttercups with sunlight;
friend to birds and toads;
they even say he was very humorous  -  hard to believe this of our old antagonist.
Pondering it, I can only believe that he, like us, just didn’t want to be there!




school's back:
street
of tiny dramas

4 comments:

Gwil W said...

Hello John, I've now linked here.

Good luck!

gwilym

Magyar said...

Thanks for the memories, John! ...so nicely said.

__I often think back, to some of my old teachers. One of which, was so 'two-sided;' one side was so 'forceful,' the other side was so
'teacherful.' I deeply disliked her... yet I chose to attend her 'optional' classes, and had them added to my schedule, my own "street of tiny dramas." [dreams?]
_m

Gordon Mason said...

MacCaig? From dominie to poetry, great images, John.

Anonymous said...

There is something very sad about this. I do believe you are right about him.